Friday, August 17, 2012

The greatest of all is LOVE

One year ago I was in Mindanao, Philippines.  What a life changing, eye opening experience it was.  A third world nation.  The people have nothing, but yet they have everything.  How can two vastly different ways of life be lived in one world.  How can I be content with my walk in closet, nice car, comfortable home when majority of the world merely has a dirt floor to sleep on.  This still is a constant struggle for me.  What entitled me to live this sort of life that American culture sets forth.  Why was I chosen to be born in America, placed in the most loving of families who encouraged me to accomplish anything I put my mind to.  

The rundown small cities and streets in Tagum, Philippines were beautiful and pure to me.  It was just how it was.  There was nothing wrong with it. There is no standard for how a city is to look or better yet how a culture is to be.  Each culture has creative and unique beauty within it.  I greatly enjoyed just taking walks in our neighborhood - viewing the vast forest of palm trees and tropical greenery with such contentment in my heart.  I remember one moment specifically when I was on one of these walks that is permanently burnt into my memory.  Walking on the opposite side of the street were a group of beautiful young girls, no more than 12 years old.  My eyes opened wide in astonishment as I noticed their outfits (or lack thereof) and mannerisms.   It occurred to me that this would not be a shocking scenario in the U.S, many wouldn’t even think twice about it.  But here, in such a culture full of peace and natural beauty the scenario just didn’t fit.

Even in the Philippines the culture is slowly but obviously being transformed by media and western entertainment.  The wealthier families are beginning to get tv’s in their homes, their minds and lives being shifted by what they see on that screen.  Hollywood.  What a powerful city that influences the entire world.  I had knowledge of this previously but to see if first hand broke my heart.  After my time in the Philippines I wanted to travel the world and minister to the nations, teaching truth, identity, the hope we have in Jesus.  I even voiced out loud to God, “I will go to the ends of the world, the most remote of places, take me anywhere but please... just not America.”  After those 7 months I knew exactly where I was suppose to be.  Oh no... I have no idea what it is suppose to look like, all I knew was that I was suppose to GO.  

And now I am in the epicenter of it all.  Los Angeles.  The eruption point of fashion, materialism, media, fame, fortune.  Many striving to be somebody, anybody.  Looking to gain something, satisfaction in life, to reach a certain point which in that moment, then finally, they will be content.  How easy is it to love the Filipino people who are eagerly awaiting something more than the life they are living in physical poverty, so eager to know about God and His unfathomable love for them.  There has to be something more, what a blessing, what a miracle!  How receptive are their hearts.  But how much more difficult it is to love the woman in Beverly Hills with a spirit of pride and entitlement who offends others and defends herself that has put on a mask her entire life due to the culture she has grown up in.  Two different worlds.  Two different cultures.  But yet so similar - in desperate need of one thing.  Love.  


John 13:34-35
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.

I have no idea what lies in store for the future in my new home of LA.  But I do know I was brought here for a purpose.  Even if it is to impact and encourage just one person who may change the world through the arts and entertainment industry.  

1 Corinthians 3:13
Three things will last forever - faith, hope and love, and the greatest of these is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment